domingo, 7 de junho de 2009

Como usar Must and Have to

Must and have to is used to say that it is necessary to do something. Sometimes is does not make difference which you use:

  • It is becoming later. I have to go. or I must go.

But there is a difference between have to and must and sometimes this is important:

Must is personal, we use must when we give our personal feelings:

You must do something = I (the speaker) say it is necessary;

  • She is a really nice person. You must meet her.(=I say this is necessary)
  • I have not called Mary for ages. I must call her tonight.

Have to is impersonal, we use have to for facts, not for our personal feelings:

You have to do something because of a rule or situation;

  • You cannot turn left here. You have to turn right (because of the traffic system)
  • Mike can't go to the movie with us tonight. He has to work.

Now, compare:

  • I must get up early tomorrow. There are a lot of things I want to do.
  • I have to get up early tomorrow. I am going away and my train leaves at 8:00.

Note: If you are not sure which one to use, it is safer to use have to.

You can use must to talk about present or future, but not the past:

  • We must go now.
  • We must tomorrow.

You can use have to in all forms:

  • I had to go to school.(past)
  • Have you had to go to school.(present perfect)

In questions and negative sentences with have to, we use: do, does, did.

See you folks.

2 Comentários:

Leandro disse...
Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.
Leandro disse...

Bacana esse seu incentivo a quem está aprendendo inglês, também estou lançando no meu site algumas dicas sobre inglês. Todo conhecimento e informação é válida para aprender essa belissima lingua.

http://tecnologiapracachorro.blogspot.com/2009/07/dicas-de-ingles-parte-i.html

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO  

BlogBlogs.Com.Br